More and more people choose mini split air conditioners because of their cost-effectiveness. Sales charts back up this claim. The mini split AC industry is experiencing unprecedented levels of growth. Here are the major reasons why:
- Convenient installation process – tearing down and rebuilding is now a thing of the past. The small pipes that connect the indoor and outdoor parts of a mini split air conditioner can easily fit in a 3-inch hole.
- Improved air quality – the filtration system of ductless units effectively filter irritants, allergens and bacteria out of your space so expect better air quality indoors.
- Less carbon footprint – refrigerants generally use chlorine, an element that harms the ozone layer. But mini split ACs use a refrigerant called R-410A, a much more environmentally friendly alternative.
- Perfect for small spaces – unlike central air conditioning units, mini split air conditioners are not as large. They can practically be installed anywhere on a wall and they look far more classy!
- More flexibility – you get to customize the installation process. A mini split AC system can be hung on a wall or suspended from the ceiling.
- It can save you a significant amount of money – several studies have shown that around 30% of energy consumption comes from duct losses. Due to the fact that mini split ACs are without ducts, no duct losses can occur. You can count on a cheaper energy bill when you utilize mini split ACs.
- Better security – a window type aircon requires a hole big enough for a slim person to fit in. Thieves may take advantage of the opportunity that this opening presents them. Unlike mini split air conditioners that usually require a 3-inch hole – absolutely no chance of break ins.
- Zoning – these types of ACs split your home into different sections, and the sections are referred to as “zones”. Each zone will be given its own thermostat. This differs from old versions of ACs where whole spaces only received a single thermostat. And because there are multiple thermostats, you can pick which specific areas you want to cool (or heat). This system saves a lot of energy resulting in a cheaper power bill.
- Improved comfort levels during work and leisure – it has been proven that job performance increases when comfort levels are at a higher level. And when we dislike the weather, our mood is gravely affected. Air conditioners reduce the occurrence of that undesirable scenario and when our mood is great, we are almost always at our best behavior. In short, mini split air conditioners rock!
Check out our top picks for Best Mini Split Air Conditioners below:
This page contains affiliate links. We hope you love the products we recommend but just so you know, if you purchase a product from one of our links below, we may receive a small commission. Details here.
No.1 Recommended Mini Split Air Conditioner
PIONEER Air Conditioner by PIONEER
First on our list is PIONEER Air Conditioner, and at the time of writing labeled as “Amazon’s Choice” and also in our opinion perfect for small spaces. This ultra-efficient split AC is of the highest quality, performance and reliability.
- Cooling capacity – from 9,000 BTU/h to 36,000 BTU/h
- Heating Capacity – from 9,500 BTU/h to 36.000 BTU/h
- Voltage Options – from 110~120 VAC to 208~230 VAC
- SEER – from 17.0 to 16.0
- HSPF – from 9.0 to 10.0
- Indoor Dims (WDH) – from 28.5 x 7.5 x 11.5 to 49.5 x 11.0 x 14.0
- Outdoor Dims (WDH) – from 30.5 x 12.0 x 22.0 to 37.0 x 16.5 x 32.0
- Recommended Area – from 250~350 Sqf to 1100~1300 Sqf
- Shipping Weight – from 120 Lbs to 315 Lbs
- Washable air filters
- Comes with an infrared remote controller
- Comes with a complete installation kit
- For single zone residential & light commercial applications.
This mini split AC beats all other competitors in almost every category. This product can heat or cool any space effectively and efficiently without the noise. Get it all for the price of one: Air Conditioning + Heating (Reverse Cycle Heat Pump) + Dehumidification + Ventilation.
Utilizing the best of modern technology, this split AC can give you the comfort that you’ve been looking for. If you will ever need assistance, Pioneer’s professional support hotline is just 1 call away. They can provide help with many things such as installation, use, troubleshooting, warranty and parts issues. To see the price, click here.
Best Noiseless Mini Split Air Conditioner
12000 BTU 15 SEER Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump by Senville
Second on our list of the Best Mini Split AC Systems is Senville. It comes with an Easy Installation Kit and wiring harness. Keep in mind that professional installation is required. The manufacturers know that no sleep is possible or good work is difficult with a noisy background. Its Whisper Technology for Quiet Operation solves that problem for you, making it perfect for bedrooms, living rooms and commercial establishments. It can give powerful yet virtually silent cooling and heating all year round. Comfortable sleeping or a cozier workplace is just one press away (via the infrared remote control).
- Power Supply – from 110V to 220V
- SEER Rating – from 15
- Heat Pump – Up to 5°F
- Indoor Dimensions – from 32.87 x 7.8 x 11.02 in to 40.94 x 12.87 x 8.66 in
- Outdoor Dimensions – from 30.31 x 11.81 x 21.81 in to 33.27 x 14.29 x 27.64 in
- Manufacturer’s Warranty – 2 year (Parts) and 5 year (Compressor)
- HSPF5 – 7.2
- HSPF4 – 8.5
- Power Supply – 220V
- SEER Rating – from 25 to 20
- Energystar Certified
- Heat Pump – Up to -22°F
- Manufacturer’s Warranty – 3 year (Parts) and 7 year (Compressor)
This split AC (powered by a GMCC Toshiba compressor.) is a part of the LETO Series by Senville, making it ideal for single rooms, garages, commercial spaces and more.
Best Energy-Saver Mini Split Air Conditioner
Do It Yourself Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump – 115V/60Hz by MrCool
Have you been avoiding getting your own AC because you fear a big spike in your energy bill? Well, read on and discover why you can have your own AC without losing your peace of mind.
For that reason, next on our list is something from MrCool. Although this costs a little more upfront, you will still get to save a lot of money in the long run. With an intelligent on-off technology, this mini split air conditioner automatically enters energy-saving mode when on standby, thereby lowering energy consumption from 5W to 1W and saving you 80%. I’ll bet that you’ll have a big smile on your face after receiving your next energy bill!
- Recharged 410 Quick Connect Line set
- Remote APP
- Leakage Detection
- Low Ambient Cooling
- Sleep Mode
- Item weight: 83.7 pounds
- Color: White
This mini split air conditioner generally takes around 2 hours to unpack and install. We recommend asking a professional for help because it is very tricky to install when done on one’s own. Other than that, if you seek a stylish mini split AC that can deliver a high-quality performance without taking a large piece of your power budget, then MrCool is your man. Or machine rather.
Best Dual Purpose Mini Split Air Conditioner
Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump SENA-12HF/Z by Senville
Fourth on our list of the Best Mini Split Air Conditioners comes from Senville once again, this time a multi-purpose machine that can act as a split air conditioner and heat pump. This product is a part of the splendid AURA Series by Senville. The AURA Series lineup boasts durability, performance and efficiency. No matter what the season, this product is excellent for your diverse needs. It will keep you cool during hot days and it will provide warmth during cold days.
- Power Supply – 208~230V 1Ph
- Recommended Room Size – 100 to 500 Sq. Ft., 500 to 750 Sq. Ft. and 1250 to 1500 Sq. Ft.
- Energy star Certified
- Hyper Heat (Up to -22F)
- SEER Rating – 25, 22.5, 20.5 and 20
- AHRI Certified
- R410A Pre-Charged – Up to 25 Ft.
- Manufacturer’s Warranty – 3 year warranty (Parts) and 7 year warranty (Compressor)
- Indoor / Outdoor Dimensions – 32.87 x 7.8 x 11.02 in (Indoor Unit) 31.50 x 13.1 x 21.81 in (Outdoor Unit), 38.98 x 8.58 x 12.40 in (Indoor Unit) 33.27 x 14.29 x 27.64 in (Outdoor Unit), 46.69 x 10.16 x 13.39 in (Indoor Unit) 37.24 x 16.54 x 31.89 in (Outdoor Unit)
With more than 10 years in the business, Senville has researched and studied what makes a split AC amazing, then used their findings to build a machine that stands above the competition. If you seek a product that perfectly balances affordability and efficiency, then we recommend nothing else but this splendid mini split AC.
Best Cost-Effective Mini Split Air Conditioner
Ductless Mini Split DC Inverter Air Conditioner Heat Pump System (12000 Btu) by Air-Con
Garnering popular scores on Amazon, this mini split air conditioner is our final recommendation. Your hard-earned money deserves to be spent wisely and purchasing this mini split AC system is a move that your future self will thank you for. This product is nothing short of amazing – the list of the things that it can do goes on and on. To start with, it has a Self Diagnosis and Auto Protection attribute. Then it has a Compressor Intelligent Pre-Heating feature. You better scroll down below to know more about this impressive machine.
- Heating and Cooling System
- 20.5 SEER Variable Speed DC Inverter GMCC TOSHIBA Compressor 208-230V
- Energy Star certified
- AHRI certified
- Horizontal and Vertical Louver Auto Swing
- Removable and Washable Panel
- Super Quiet Operation
- Low Ambient Heating (-4°F) and Cooling (5°F)
- 7 Indoor Fan Speeds
- Independent Dehumidifying
- Corrosion Resistant Cabinet
- Chassis Electric Heater Function
- Factory Warranty – 2 Years Parts, 5 Years Compressor
As you can see, this cost effective mini split air conditioner has a lot of great features, making this product an excellent buy. Why not check out what other customers thought of this AC system before making your final decision.
How To Choose a Mini Split Air Conditioner
We’d like to end this “Best of” article with a comprehensive buyer’s guide. Bookmark this page or take notes. Split ACs are not very cheap so you would want to make your first (or next) purchase right. Without further ado, here’s the checklist of the basic factors to consider when you are about to buy a mini split air conditioner for your small space:
Size of the room (or the space where you wish to place the AC)
If the room is too large, an AC might not have enough power to cool (or heat) the whole room. You might be forced to keep the AC at its maximum power setting which will naturally consume more energy. And the more energy that you consume, the more the power company will bill you. On the other hand, if the room is too small, the whole room (or space) will easily cool but there will be a damp and humid sensation because the moisture will not have sufficient time to escape.
- Small rooms under 25 sq.m needs a horsepower of 1.0 or less. The AC capacity should not be more than 10,550 kJ/hr.
- Middle sized rooms range from 25 to 44 sq.m. and they need a horsepower of 1.5 or 2.0. The AC capacity should range from 12,661 to 22,156 kJ/hr.
- Large rooms range from 50 to 72 sq.m. and they need a horsepower of 2.5 or 3.0. The AC capacity should range from 24,266 to 35,872 kJ/hr.
Generally, house rooms fit into the small and middle sized category. Other than the size of the room, other elements should be considered such as the height of the ceiling, the number of people occupying the room and the climate. A higher ceiling needs a higher capacity setting while a low capacity setting is enough for a room with a low ceiling. In the same manner, more occupants in a room need a higher capacity setting, while a room with a low number of people needs a low capacity setting. If you live in a place where the average temperature is 33°C / 90°F, then you will need to increase the capacity setting of the AC to achieve your desired cooling effect and so on.
It’ll be very hard to focus on your work or to manage a nap with a noisy background. Most AC sellers display the noise that their ACs make in terms of decibels (dB). Avoid those with high decibel ratings! But fret not because the ACs we have recommended in this article will give optimal performance without being rowdy.
- Mode Settings – there are ACs that cannot provide heat. But some ACs can do it all: air conditioning + heating + dehumidification + ventilation. If you live in a tropical country, then you won’t need an AC that provides heat. Also, if you reside in a cold country, you wouldn’t need an AC that can only cool the room. And last, if you are a citizen of a country with diverse seasons, then a multi purpose AC is best for you.
- Timer – it’ll be very useful to have a mini split AC which features a timer. Quick tip: Set your timer to turn on the AC 15 minutes before you arrive home from work and set your timer to turn off the AC deep into the night when you are sure that you’d already be asleep.
- Energy Saving Features – more energy saved means more money saved! Lookout for terms like ‘energy saving mode’, ‘sleep mode’ and ‘auto defrost’. Prioritize the mini split AC systems which contain these additional settings.
Avoid fires and circuit breaks caused by faulty voltage readings. If you are unfamiliar with the voltage requirement of your home or building, we highly recommend seeking out the help of a professional electrician.
Mini split air conditioners need expert installation. Some sellers offer free installation, so pay attention to similar proposals. Do not attempt to install it on your own, especially if you have no prior experience. No matter how careful you may be, the machine might end up badly damaged and these incidents are generally not covered by warranties.
There are two types of compressors: the rotary and the inverter. Less and less consumers look for the rotary compressor because inverter compressors can save bigger amounts of energy. And as we’ve said more than once, more energy saved means more money saved!
To recap, here are the advantages of getting your own mini split AC:
- Convenient installation process
- Improved air quality
- Less carbon footprint
- Perfect for small spaces
- More flexibility
- It can save you a significant amount of money.
- Better security
- Improved comfort levels during work and leisure
If you seek a safe and budget-friendly way to feel comfortable regardless of the weather, then grant yourself and your family a gift – choose to invest in a mini split air conditioner. Split ACs are stylish, convenient and better for the environment. I hope you found these reviews on the Best Mini Split Air Conditioners helpful and were able to find a mini split AC system perfect for your small space.