Are you looking for a bike that’s compact and easy to store?
If you’re living in a small home, I understand how hard you’ve been trying to make the best use of limited and valuable free space. Well, there’s the traditional, clever horizontal storage method on the wall, but you might have used up that area already. There’s also a pulley system and mount to the ceiling to store your bike, but is your wall high enough and anyway it doesn’t sound too convenient, right?
Well, don’t fret! There’s still one thing you can do. How about folding your bike and tucking them under the desk or stairs? That sounds a great idea to me! What do you think? Fortunately, there are now dozens of folding bikes on the market.
This folding bike by Dahon is our No.1 recommended bike. Not only does it look great but has some very nice features. Scroll down below to see the full review.
But I have to warn you, buying a folding bike should involve more than just its price tag and its appearance. So for today’s article, I will be sharing with you the best folding bikes you can buy. Please keep on reading below.
Best Folding Bike Reviews
✅ No. 1 Recommended Folding Bike
Dahon Speed D7 Folding Bike
The brand Dahon has absolutely dominated the consumer market for folding bikes and Dahon Speed 7 played a vital part in its popularity, thanks to the bike’s remarkable performance and efficient features.
First of all, the folded size of this bike is compact enough that you can conveniently fit in any small space like your car’s trunk, trains or buses without any problem. Though this bike is a little heavy at 30 lbs. and will require a little bit of extra effort lifting or folding it, this doesn’t limit its folding mechanism. Folding and unfolding this bike is easy and simple. In fact, it only takes about 20 seconds to fold and unfold this bike.
When it comes to its performance, this bike has a great reputation. It features incredible 20” tires which are bigger than most foldable bikes available today and will give you a good grip on the road. As a result, you can go uphill or go down the curb easily and take on any type of terrain and will not lose stability. Plus the tires have shock absorbing qualities to make sure you will have a comfortable ride wherever you are headed to.
It also comes with 7-speed gears that provide adequate speed on both hills and flats. Plus, it also features Neos rear derailleur that provides a fast and smooth gear shifting mechanism.
Other interesting features:
- You can choose among three beautiful colors: Obsidian Black, Baltic Blue, and Tangerine Orange.
- Its handlebar is also adjustable and can be easily adjusted to your desired height. All you have to do is untighten the bolt to adjust the height. Also, it has a pretty wide handlebar that gives you more control on the bike.
- It has reliable and powerful brakes made of alloy and comes in the V-brake form. It has been designed to make sure you don’t have to worry about brakes failing while you are in the middle of the road.
- It has a comfortable seat that will keep you at ease even during long periods of riding.
So if you’re looking for A High Quality Folding Bike, Dahon Speed D7 Folding Bike is a perfect choice at such an affordable price. Not only does it look great but its convenience as well as performance will make your riding experience very enjoyable.
2. Best Folding Bike For Commuting
Ford by Dahon Muon 7 Speed Folding Bike
If you do, then this is the best time to consider a folding bike that you can conveniently bring with you during your commute. Folding bikes can definitely make commuting simple and this has been even more exciting with the partnership between Dahon and Ford.
Ford by Dahon Muon 7 Speed Folding Bike is one of the highest-quality folding bikes around. It is an ideal choice for urban riding and daily commuting since it has been designed to suit the city’s environment.
This bike is fully made from aluminum so it weighs lighter than it looks. It also folds in seconds and has a compact size making it very easy to carry, perfect for taking on a bus or train on your commute or stashing in the trunk of your car, small space or apartment.
Other interesting features:
- The handlebar and seat post are fully adjustable so you can change the bike’s dimension according to your liking and comfort.
- The bike features Shimano 7 speed gear system that can get you where you need to go; this allows you to quickly accelerate on the road as you shift to various speeds.
- It comes with complete instructions on how to assemble it yourself and it is very easy to follow.
The Ford by Dahon Muon 7 Speed Folding Bike is definitely The Perfect Choice For Urban Dwellers who are looking for something compact, durable and commuter-friendly.
3. Best Folding Bike For Tall Person
Camp 20” Alloy 16 Speed Folding Bike
If you are worried that you might end up looking like a circus elephant riding a folding bike, don’t fret! There are plenty of heavy-duty folding bikes built for tall cyclists like you. Camp 20-inch Folding Bike, for an instance, is a decent decision for taller individuals. The 20-inch wheels will make you feel very stable.
What makes this bike amazing is its Shimano Altus 16 speed derailleur feature, which we can rarely find in most small-wheel folding bikes; seven-speed transmission is the most popular type. This means you will be able to feel a lot more comfortable and safer riding up steep hills and on different ground level with greater control and stability using this bike.
Other interesting features:
- The bike’s frame as well as its major components such as disc brakes, bearing hub, front, and rear rim are made with aluminum alloy, making the bike heavy-duty, strong and long-lasting.
- A little rubber has been attached to the frame of the bike to avoid any scratches when folding and transporting the bike.
- The bike folds to a compact size, thanks to the magnet that holds the bike frame together. Carrying the bike on a train, bus or metro is such hassle-free.
- It features dual disc brakes which are of high-quality.
If you choose to buy a Camp 20-inch Folding Bike, you can expect to have a smooth ride at all times and to never feel uncomfortable.
4. Best Lightweight Folding Bike
Dahon Mariner D8 Folding Bike
There’s so much to love about this bike, no wonder it has become the company’s best-selling model. The main advantage of this folding bike is its neat design. It can give you amazing versatility, exceptional rides, and effortless mobility. This bike is very lightweight, so carrying it on public transportation is a breeze. And when you get to your destination, you can quickly fold the bike within 15 seconds.
On top of that, it is so easy to store in small places. The bike’s small dimension when folded allows you to store it under a desk or on a shelf, making it perfect for commuters and those who are living in a small apartment.
This bike is also equipped with an eight-speed Shimano Altus rear derailleur which provides enough depth for climbing up hills. The eight-speed shifter on the right handlebar grip is also very easy to use and at a comfortable hand position.
Other interesting features:
- It comes with a front and rear fender to protect your clothing while you’re riding.
- It has reliable 20-inch wheels that are also so easy to steer even when you’re in difficult conditions.
- The bike’s breaks are amazing too. They will stop the bike safely, with good grip.
- The bike’s frame is constructed using 7005 lightweight aluminum which makes it lighter compared to ones made with steel frame. But despite being light, this folding bike will still be able to hold your weight. It has a maximum rider weight of 105 kg.
This Lightweight Folding Bike is definitely a wonderful choice, especially if you do a daily commute. It will help you take on hills on your way to work and at the same time is portable and compact enough to be carried around the town.
5. Best Value Folding Bike 20’’ Wheels
Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bicycle
The Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bicycle is one of the best affordable folding bikes on the market today. But despite its low price, this bike delivers a smooth ride with plenty of incredible features. Well, there’s no doubt that Schwinn has been one of the leading bicycle manufacturers in America since 1895 and they relentlessly show dedication to high quality.
While most of the budget folding bikes skimp on gears, this bike comes with seven speeds Shimano drive train for an easy and comfortable ride, especially on uphills. It has been named Loop after the shape of its frame. The bike’s frame loops down, giving you more space to hop on and off effortlessly.
Furthermore, its foldable function is very handy too, especially for those who are living in small apartments or flats and don’t have enough space for storage.
Other interesting features:
- It comes with a handy rear rack where you can easily attach a basket or a handy set of panniers so you can conveniently carry your belongings.
- It also comes with a carrying bag made from quality nylon so you can easily carry the folded bike while you’re on the bus or train when commuting.
- The frame is made from an alloy which is strong enough to withstand rough roads and is also very stable to navigate.
- It also has durable and trusty alloy linear pull brakes.
So if you’re looking for a bike that will last you a long time yet you’re on a tight budget, the Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bicycle is a remarkable bike that can give you great value. You will be unlikely to find a better folding bike for the same price in its class.
How To Choose The Best Folding Bike
Of course, the first thing you need to consider when choosing a folding bike is the folding mechanism. There are various folding methods like:
- Half- or mid-fold. This comes with single or double hinge points that allows the user to fold the bike based on a classic pattern – folding the bike into a half, It also comes with release clamps that will enable you to quickly raise or lower the steering and seat columns.
- Vertical fold. This is almost the same as mid-folding bikes where it comes with one or two hinges along the main tube or chains so the bike will be folded vertically. I find this to be more flexible and efficient compared to mid-folding bikes as it allows you to leave the two wheels side by side.
- Triangle hinge. Obviously, this folding mechanism allows you to fold the bike into a triangular shape. You can fold the wheels down and flip it forward under the main hinged tube. What makes this mechanism amazing is that it makes folding and unfolding much faster.
- Magnet folding and suspension system. This is commonly used on most modern bikes today where the magnet is used to attach and lock the back wheel section into the frame. When you need to unfold your bike, the magnet can be disconnected within seconds, saving you so much time. This mechanism also allows you to fold the bike into half. The bike will be folded vertically too while the rear wheel rotates forward so you can just roll the folded bike, rather than having to carry it.
Another thing you need to consider is the bike’s portability and how easy it is to store. Size definitely matters when it comes to folding bikes so make sure you check the size of the bike after it is folded. In general, a folding bike should be able to decrease its size to at least half when it is folded. It should also be light enough. Take note that you will more than likely carrying a folding bike at some point, so make sure it will be something you can conveniently lift.
You also need to consider the bike’s frame material. Take note that the frame holds the bike together, this means it is the foundation of every other component attached to it. Furthermore, the frame material also plays an important role in how the bike feels as well as its overall weight.
Aluminum is the most common frame material being used for both mid-range and higher-end folding bikes. It is much lighter and is relatively inexpensive. It also delivers amazing control and maneuverability.
Other important features you need to carefully consider are brakes, wheels and the bike’s speeds. There are different varieties of brakes on a folding bike. For an instance, disc brakes which are commonly found on higher-end bikes use a disc to stop. Disc brakes can save you so much space as it keeps the brake assembly within the wheel.
The wheel size can also affect the ride characteristics. They not only determine how comfortable your ride will be, but will also determine the size of the bike when it is folded and how convenient it will be to carry around. This means choosing larger wheels will make it more convenient to ride but it will be less portable. You can choose from different wheel diameters, the most common wheel sizes are 16-inch, 20-inch, and 24-inch.
Having various speeds will also mean you no longer have to exert so much effort when you are cycling uphill. All you have to do is to change the speed and pedal as you usually would and you will get to the top in time.
So there you have it, the best folding bikes available today. Anyway, I hope this article will be able to help you find a product that you love and want to purchase.
Owning a quality folding bike is definitely an amazing experience. It saves you so much space, it will help you get around conveniently and of course, you will be getting a nice workout too. Don’t worry, all of the bikes I’ve mentioned above folds up nicely, can be easily stored and convenient to transport.