An elliptical trainer is a very popular home workout exerciser that improves both cardiovascular health, burns fat and develops muscle tone. It simulates activities such as walking, running, jogging and climbing, without putting stress on the joints. An elliptical machine allows you to perform these movements without the stress they place on the ankles, knees and hips and therefore reducing the chance of impact injuries.
Certain elliptical cross trainers are quite large and unsuitable for the smaller home, however, fortunately there are a choice of compact size elliptical machines, that will be a perfect size for small spaces. Even the largest elliptical trainer in this article is no larger than the compact treadmills in the folding treadmill reviews in the previous article, and they were a perfect fit for small rooms.
In this article, we will be reviewing our Best Compact Elliptical Machines For Small Spaces 2019, so that you can see the different types available and also find which one is the most suitable for you.
No.1 Compact Elliptical Trainer For Small Spaces
Compact Cardio HIIT Elliptical Trainer By ProForm
Very easy to assemble and should take around an hour for one person to complete. The assembly instructions are clear and easy to follow. The most difficult part of assembly is the time it takes to tighten all the bolts and screws.
For such a solid looking piece of equipment, the elliptical trainer has a surprisingly small footprint. Its overall measurements are 52″ L x 29.25″ W x 66.7″ H. The reason it is such a space saver is because it is not that long and most of its bulk is vertical. With dimensions of 52” length and just over 29” width, this elliptical is smaller than the average compact treadmill for home use.
We really love this machine because it truly works out your whole body. One feature that stands out from other elliptical machines is the handle bar design. It is specially designed to allow you to change grip, which then works different muscle groups and core muscles. It is also a stepper/climber and an elliptical combined, that will not only give you a great cardio workout but will also provide resistance to build both leg and butt muscles. Oversized foot pedals not only provide a more comfortable experience but also the elliptical gives a very low impact workout.
- With a choice of 32 different workout programs, each designed by a certified personal trainer, you have more than enough workouts to challenge you and keep you interested.
- 24 different resistance levels for added intensity
- 7” display that tracks speed, time, distance and calories burned.
- The flywheel uses silent magnetic resistance to provide a very smooth and extremely quiet workout.
- Grab the EKG handles when you want a reading of your heart rate within seconds
- Built in cool air workout fan to cool you down during your workout
- Built in sound system with 2” speakers
- An integrated iPad holder to watch your favorite shows while working out.
- Lifetime frame warranty, 3-year parts warranty, and 1-year labor warranty
Weight and Weight Capacity:
Item weight – 180 lbs
Weight capacity – 350 lbs
With a 5” elliptical stepping path and a 10” vertical, this compact machine combines both an elliptical workout with a climbing workout. It gives a full body, cardio and strengthening workout, all in a sleek compact design. Although, not the cheapest machine in this article, it is such an all rounder that we chose it as our No.1 choice for compact elliptical trainers for small spaces.
Best Hands-Free Small Elliptical Trainer
In-Motion Compact Elliptical Trainer by Stamina
A budget standing or sitting hands-free elliptical machine that will give you a great workout at home or at the office. Lightweight, portable and very convenient, this little trainer is a must for people that sit down a lot and don’t have a lot of time for fitting in exercise.
The elliptical is very easy to assemble and shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. Instructions are provided and the tools required for assembly are also included.
It measures 24” from front to back, 20” wide and 14” in height. This elliptical is small, light and portable and an ideal choice for people with very limited space at home. It will easily fit under a table, when you want to squeeze in some exercise at work. It can also be stored in a closet or under a bed.
This versatile little machine can be used standing or sitting. The beauty of this elliptical is that you can exercise while you are working, studying, reading a book or sitting down watching TV. If you are in an office, the machine is so quiet and small, that people will not know you are using it. If you prefer to exercise standing up, then no problem, just stand on it and start your workout. There are no handles on this elliptical, therefore it only works the lower body.
- Compact, lightweight and portable
- Suitable for home or office
- Standing or sitting
- Forward or reverse motion will target different muscle groups
- Electronic monitor tracks strides, time and calories burned
- Adjustable tension knob allows you to increase intensity
- Non-slip pedals
- Sturdy steel construction
- Low impact exercise protects ankles, knees and hips from injury
- Three color options
Weight and Weight Capacity:
Item weight – 24 lbs
Weight capacity – 250 lbs
The In-Motion elliptical trainer by Stamina, is a great budget buy, that will give a great workout from the comfort of your own chair. It conveniently fits under an office desk for work time exercising. It is the ultimate space saver because of its small footprint. You won’t get a full body workout, however for convenience and the low price, this small elliptical is a great choice.
Best Budget Folding Elliptical Trainer For Small Homes
Folding Elliptical Glider By Sunny & Health Fitness
A great value budget elliptical trainer, that is a perfect space saver because it can be folded up to half its length. It is quite basic, however it is ideal for beginners and seniors looking for a light full body workout and mobility. Lightweight, compact, portable and a great price.
The elliptical does require assembly, however it is very easy and the tools required for assembly are provided.
This is a real space saving exerciser. By removing a pin, you can fold it up to half its length and store it in a closet. Although it is possible to fold up, it really isn’t necessary because it has such a small footprint. Its overall measurements are 27” L x 17” W x 57” H, which is not very big at all.
Essentially, this elliptical trainer is ideal for seniors and people that are looking for light aerobic exercise. If a person is looking for a challenging workout or they are physically fit already, then this elliptical may not be the most suitable for them. For an elliptical machine that provides a light aerobic workout and will get the whole body moving, then this is a good choice.
- Abdominal pad provides added support when exercising
- Manually adjustable stride for varied intensity levels
- Track time, distance and calories burned with the LCD display unit
- Stride length 30”
- Smooth and quiet stride
- Full body, no impact workout
- Built-in fitness programs
- Can be folded to dimensions of only 15” L x 19” W x 61.5” H
- Good for beginners and seniors, looking for a light aerobic workout
- Can be folded up and stored in a closet
Weight and Weight Capacity:
Item weight – 37 lbs
Weight capacity – 220 lbs
This elliptical glider is a great value budget trainer, ideal for beginners starting out their fitness journey or for seniors looking for a light aerobic workout and to maintain mobility. For people looking for a strenuous workout and whom are already quite fit, this trainer won’t be challenging enough. As a space saver, it is a great piece of equipment because of such a small footprint and its ability to fold up and store in a closet.
Top Rated Elliptical Cross Trainer For Small Rooms
Compact Magnetic Elliptical Machine Trainer by Efitment
This compact and portable elliptical trainer by Efitment, is a solid, good value machine that will fit nicely into a small room. Its front wheels make it simple to move around and the belt driven flywheel gives a smooth and very quiet total body workout.
It may take up to an hour to assemble this machine, however the instructions are clear and easy to follow. If possible, having two people will make assembly a lot easier because holding parts can get a little tricky while attaching bolts.
With overall measurements of 34.5” L x 24.5” W x 61”H, this elliptical trainer is very compact and ideal for small spaces. 34.5” length is quite short and it also has a solid structure, allowing a weight capacity of 220 lbs. We really like the portability of this machine because of the wheels at the front. Just tilt it forward and roll it to the desired destination. No need for lifting and dragging from place to place.
It provides a very smooth total body workout. We like how quiet this machine is and if you want to up the intensity, there are 8 levels of magnetic resistance to choose from. Unfortunately, there are no programs to choose from, however the resistance levels will still give a decent workout and you can create your own workout plans by setting time and resistance fitness goals.
- Provides no impact smooth, total body workout
- LCD monitor displays time, speed, distance, calories burned, pulse rate and scan.
- Belt driven flywheel provides a smooth and very quiet workout
- Compact size makes it ideal for small spaces
- Hand pulse sensors are built into stationary bars, helps monitor heart rate
- 8 levels of magnetic resistance to choose from for added intensity
- Oversized, textured, non-slip foot plates provide extra safety and accommodate all foot sizes
- Wheels at the front make this compact elliptical very mobile and easy to transport
Weight and Weight Capacity:
Item weight – 63 lbs
Weight capacity – 220 lbs
This is a good elliptical for the price. No frills, however as a compact space saver, it is a very good choice. With 8 different resistance levels to choose from, there is more than enough to give all fitness levels a challenging workout. If you are looking for a good value, compact and portable elliptical machine, then this one is highly rated.
Best Sit Down Elliptical Machine For Under Desk Workouts
Quiet & Compact Desk Elliptical Machine – Cubii Jr
This bestseller on QVC, has been a big hit with the public and we can see why. With its ergonomic design, it provides a smooth elliptical exercise. It is virtually silent when in use, therefore will not only easily fit under an office desk but will also not make a sound. Their are cheaper versions of this style of elliptical trainer available, however the Cubii Jr appears to be No.1 on the market.
The Cubii Jr is very easy to assemble and will take no more than 5 minutes. Tools are provided for assembly and 4 screws are needed to be attached. It is a solid and sturdy piece of equipment and very well manufactured.
Overall measurements are 23” L x 17.5” W x 10” H and weighs around 28 lbs. It is a very discreet machine and will easily fit under an office desk, so that you can get some exercise in at work. At 28 lbs, it is relatively light and portable. Sit down elliptical machines are very small exercisers, therefore they are perfect for small spaces and easy storage.
Whether by choice or necessity, more and more people are sitting down for long periods of time these days and this sedentary lifestyle is leading to serious health issues. The Cubii Jr is an ideal way to get some exercise in while in a sitting position. It is ergonomically designed for good sitting posture and very low impact. Also, the angle of the movements will prevent knees from hitting the underside of the desk. It is super quiet and very smooth to use, however the Cubii Jr is only designed for seated workouts. You will not be able to stand on this machine.
- 8 resistance levels for added intensity
- A smooth elliptical exercise is provided by its patented angles
- Angles provide an ergonomic posture and an unconscious leg movement
- Built-in display unit monitors time, calories, RPM, strides and distance
- Best seller on QVC
- Assembly time – under 5 minutes
- Average user burns 150 calories per hour
- Mayo Clinic study shows an 84.5% greater energy expenditure compared to using a standing desk
- Solid, sturdy and very quiet
- Ideal space saver for storage and small areas
Weight and Weight Capacity:
Item weight – 28 lbs
Weight capacity – No weight limit because it is only designed for seated exercise
The Cubii Jr is an ideal elliptical machine for people that have to sit down a lot during the day. It is discreet and virtually silent when used and has studies to back up its effectiveness. It is more expensive than its competitors, however it is a quality piece of equipment with proven results. The Cubii Jr is also very small in size, portable, easy to store and perfect for small spaces.
What To Consider When Buying An Elliptical Machine For Small Spaces
- Budget – When it comes to all types of exercise equipment, budget is a factor. An elliptical machine can be bought for less than $100 or for up to $2000. Of course, the expensive machines offer a lot more, however you can get a decent elliptical for a bargain. If you are looking for one to keep you active and give you a light workout, then the no frills variety will do fine.
- Size – Measure the area you plan to use and store the elliptical to give you an idea of the maximum size machine you can have. The elliptical machines reviewed in this article are all compact size, therefore some of the smallest on the market. Some have the ability to fold up for better storage, however, if you really only have limited space available, then a sit-down, mini-sized elliptical trainer could be your best option.
- Features – The majority of elliptical trainers have a monitor to track time, distance, calories etc. Other features to look out for are resistance levels to challenge you as your fitness levels progress and also programs to keep you motivated and focused. The average user can get by on the basic features, however the more serious athlete may like some extra features in their workouts.
Tips On How To Maintain Your Elliptical Machine
Just like any other machine, if you want to get the best out of your elliptical machine for years to come, then you have to maintain it. An elliptical machine is an expensive piece of equipment, therefore putting in a few minutes after your workout and having a weekly and monthly maintenance routine will be well worth it to make this investment last.
Firstly, after each workout make sure you wipe down all of the sweat that has fallen on the elliptical. This is important to ensure that stains don’t develop on the plastic and rust doesn’t appear on the steel parts. Also, keep an eye on the LCD screen. If sweat is dripping on the screen, then it might get into the device. If fluid gets into the device, then it will surely lose function over time. Every now and again, using a soft cloth and a little warm water, wipe down the machine to keep it clean and remove any stains and smells.
Loosening of screws and bolts are another thing to watch out for. During vigorous workouts, screws and bolts may loosen, which can cause noises, like squeaking and rattling, therefore it is important to make sure they are all tight and secure. When all the parts are secure, the elliptical machine will not only function better but will also be more solid and stable.
Lubricating the moving parts is also important to allow you to have a fluid, noise free workout. An light oil spray should be sufficient, however make sure that there is no build up of dirt and grease. Lightly wipe the area that the oil is on after you apply it, so that there is a small layer of oil still on the area. This should be more than enough to keep everything moving smoothly and noise free.
A maintenance guide should come with your elliptical trainer, so follow the guidelines by the manufacture to get the most out of your machine and to ensure it will run well for as long as possible.
if you are interested in looking at some other types of compact home exercise equipment, then have a look at these compact rowing machine reviews and these compact exercise bike reviews. They are specifically chosen for quality and suitability for small spaces.
Elliptical trainers are very popular, just like mini trampolines, are low impact machines that are not only easy on the joints but also great for home use. Whether you choose a hands-free, sit-down, fold-up or compact full body machine, there is an option suitable for small spaces. We hope you found this article Best Compact Elliptical Machines for Small Spaces 2019 helpful and we hope you were able to find your ideal elliptical trainer for your small space.